Thursday, June 16, 2011

Move over, day. I'm driving!


I think it is completely possible to travel without any money at all. At least it's definitely less expensive than not to travel and pay for rent. Don't take buses, trains or planes - hitchhike. Don't pay for food - get it free by dumpster diving or just by being in a right place in a right time. Don't pay for ho(s)tels - couchsurf or just sleep by the road side in a cosy little sleeping bag. I am a bit worried that this kind of lifestyle will inevitably end up with me being a little pretty anti-capitalist smelly homeless-looking creature, but I'm on my way to not caring about opinions either :P

I read a travel blog yesterday from people who are on a hitchhiking trip all the way through Africa, and I was thinking - why not, I should do it one day as well! A few days ago I got excited about an idea to hitchhike through Russia to the Far East. I've always dreamed of being able to consider such things possible.

However, what I actually did do is this:



A friend came over to Toulouse and jokingly proposed taking a little trip to Istanbul. A few days later we were on our way. And since we were in a travelling mood, our trip continued to Hungary through Romania and after that, why not, I decided to visit my friends in Estonia - it seemed too close for not taking the chance.
The green pins on the maps indicate stops, blue lines between them straight hitch-hiking shifts :) three weeks, 18 countries, 9200 km.
I didn't enjoy neither Istanbul nor Bucharest nor Debrecen that much, I'm mostly happy about all this because I now know how retardedly easy it is to cover any distance you want, go wherever you want, do whatever you want without worrying about such things as where do get all the money from(!) or where do sleep or what to eat or who's driving ..

No comments:

Post a Comment